There was a little Princess

I have an aversion to princesses. Don't get me wrong. I love the Disney princess movies. When I saw the castle at Disneyland all lit up, I was a 6 year old girl again, hands clasped and teary eyed. (I was 29.) But Koreans have a saying "공주병" which translates to "Princess Disease". That's what we said about the girls who had whiney, high pitched voices, always dressed like they were going clubbing, and expected guys to pay for everything. Not attractive qualities. So when my husband said that our daughter was his "little princess", I cringed.

After further discussion, I realized this was not the type of princess my husband had in mind. (I shouldn't have been surprised. He did marry a woman who wears combat boots, owns more books than purses and shoes combined, and couldn't care less about what the Kardasians are doing.) Turns out we both thought a girl should have scraped knees, paint under her nails and grass in her hair. What was surprising was that it wasn't that hard to find books about this kind of princess!

 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0873589092/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0873589092&linkCode=as2&tag=twmobo-20&linkId=B2V6ANHMGWSZ37LB

I vaguely remembered seeing these on display at some bookstore and fortunately, my local library had them on the shelf. When I read these to my daughter, she kept shouting, "Just like me, mama!" She has a soccer ball, she has boots, she sometimes has band-aids on her knees. And she even has a little brother! I was happy to see a positive relationship there too, instead of the usual annoying little brother. I love that these books have a positive message and that my daughter immediately identified with them.

When I looked up the author's website and read the description for the book, I starting putting her other books on hold. This is the description for "Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?"
At the heart of Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots? lives an energetic and contemporary child who has lots of important questions for her mom. Do princesses ride tricycles, climb trees, or have to eat the crusts of their bread? The mother's voice is timelessly reassuring as she advises her daughter that being like a princess has to do with what we are on the inside. This book offers a gentle lesson about self-acceptance, and will inspire children to leave their own mark on the world. Yes, yes, yes! The answer is yes.
These books might have to become permanent additions to our home library. We'll get this one too, to make sure our son doesn't feel left out:

Do Super Heroes Have Teddy Bears?

0 comments:

Post a Comment