Cure for the We're-Stuck-Inside-Blues

My 2 1/2 year old whines. I hate whining. Hate is strong word but I really really HATE whining. It is like nails on a chalkboard for me. My friend told me about her method for stopping the whining. She came up with a silly word that made her son stop whining and giggle instead. Genius! I tried it. It didn't work. But I finally found something that does!! Not only does it stop my daughter from whining but it made my year old son stop crying.


First, a silly song.

Bonus: This song comes with a book! Or the other way around. We got the book and thought it was so cute. We tried to make up our own melody but then we found out we could download the actual song from Sandra Boynton here!

It was much better than the version we made up.







Next, a silly laugh-out-loud book.

Mo Willems is a genius when it comes to writing a story that is funny but has heart. Elephant and Piggy are a couple of our favorite characters. In this book, Piggy has a surprise for Elephant. He promises that it's going to be a good one. Of course, Elephant can't wait! Charlotte has said to me many times "Mommy, it's hard to wait." so this was something she could relate to.

The funny part is in how Elephant shows his distress.
Then again, it might be the way I read it. I really get into it. I dig deep and my kids think it's hilarious.



I am not kidding. 30 minutes before this picture was taken, they were both crying/whining/fighting. After the 2nd reading and a couple giggle-fits, they played together wonderfully. Until they realized they were hungry for lunch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment